What it's really like to start a business, in a nutshell
11 months ago
Lots of people ask what it's really like to start a business, so here's what we've learnt, in short and in no particular order!
- Ask people what they want, find a gap, launch products, get customer feedback.
- Figure out how to launch a website and get visitors online.
- Run out of stock!
- Can’t pay for new stock, so negotiate terms with suppliers.
- Feel like a failure.
- Do the packing, every day.
- Handle customer queries and look after them.
- Get featured in national press!
- Find new customers, look after current ones and grow a community.
- Feel like a superhero.
- Figure out Facebook ads. They break. Figure them out again. Apple changes everything. Figure them out again.
- Manage mindset every day.
- Get asked to go on Dragon's Den.
- Pitch in front of the real dragons(!) and the cameras.
- Don’t get through, though don’t totally crash either…Peter Jones says our numbers are pretty spot on! Deborah thinks the shampoo bar will work. Take that and regroup :)
- Do the post and packing, again.
- Record podcasts to share experiences.
- Launch new products. Sell out again!
- Come up with new ideas and strategies.
- Find a mastermind group to share and learn with.
- Start over, again.
Are you thinking of starting your own business? Do you already run your own brand? We're thrilled to be an official affiliate for Marie Forleo's B-School this Summer! Marie's given us access to her free training, click here for more!